Sleeve Gastrectomy Surgery
What is the Sleeve Gastrectomy?
Like gastric Bypass, It is one of the weight loss procedure which limits the intake of food by removing the part of the stomach. Like metabolic surgeries, Sleeve Gastrectomy promotes weight loss process by changing hormonal signals.
How Does Sleeve Gastrectomy Work
Sleeve Gastrectomy works to reduce the excess weight as:
- Out of the complete stomach, a small sleeve-shaped pouch stomach is left inside the abdomen and rest stomach is removed. This banana sized stomach will hold 1 ½ to 5 ounces
- Hormonal signals between brain, stomach, and liver will change
- patients will be able to intake a very limit amount of food and low calories which can be absorbed easily into the body.
- After this surgery, the patient will feel positive effects like weight loss, improvement in metabolic syndrome and overall better health.
Benefits of Sleeve Gastrectomy:-
Benefits may vary patents to patients. Some of the common advantages are:-
- As the big part of the stomach is removed so hunger-inducing hormone ghrelin reduces which eventually reduce hunger in patients,
- Takes lesser time to operate as compared to Gastric Bypass
- Does not re-route intestines
- No dumping syndrome
- No adjustments are needed
- No foreign objects are left in the body
- Weight loss may occur over 18 months of operation
- The majority of weight loss occurs over 1 year.
Recovery of Sleeve Gastrectomy
Recover through the Sleeve Gastrectomy may differ from person to person. some may experience pain which gets relieved with the medications. Some patients are left early whereas some are advised to stay for at least 1-2 days in a hospital.So some surgeons are able to let you go on the same day and some may have to stay in the hospital for 3-4 days for comfortable resting. Once you go through the sleeve gastrectomy, you are required to follow the below-mentioned guidelines:-
- Stay Hydrated:- It's not easy to consume liquids at once and you are also not taking liquid through the food. So Sip your liquids slowly but make sure to drink plenty of water.
- Bowel Movements & Constipation: Post-operation, it may be difficult and painful to make any bowel movement. Pain medications may also lead to increase constipation in one month. You are required to consult the surgeon, even after operation in case of any abdominal discomfort.
- Medications: Take your pain medicine when you need the most or as prescribed by the surgeon. If you are not facing any pain, stop medication
- Physical Activities:- It may take some days to get back into normal activities. Start with the walk. Walking will help you to heal your wounds and you may gradually start light exercise. You feel fatigue and tired in the first month of operation. You are also required not to lift the heavy weight as it may put pressure over the wounds.
- Bathing:- Do not use bathtub at least for 3 weeks after the surgery. Taking shower is fine
- Normal Work Activities:- Some may take 1 - 2 weeks to return back to normal activities or office work.
Complications of Sleeve Gastrectomy
Sleeve Gastrectomy should not be taken as serious or fearful operation. Your first 2-3 weeks may be difficult and comfortless due to new diets, pain, mood swings, weakness. But yes, you are going to have the better life. In case of abnormal complications, patients are advised to see the doctor. Some serious complications which may effect the patients are:
- Staple Line Leaks:- This is the most feared and serious complication and a doctor will double check and oversew the staple line during Sleeve Gastrectomy procedure to minimise the risk of staple line leaks.
- When a patient experiences Fever, Increased heart rate and difficulty in breathing, he may advise consulting the doctor immediately as breathing difficulty may cause problems
- To treat the same, Duration of the surgery is to be kept in mind:-
- Under 3 days: Exploratory laparoscopy is done to check what is going on inside. Surgical repair is performed to cure the leaks. a feeding tube is placed directly into small intestines (jejunum).
- 8 days or more: Surgery is typically not performed for the stable patients due to inflammation process. Drainage, stents & feeding route is often the route of treatment. And if the patient is not stable, surgery is done to drain and wash out the area. The leak is repaired and medically managed.
- Blood Clots or Thrombosis: This is the life-threatening complications and not treated quickly. Blood clot raised due to lack of blood flow or mobility. Doctors and physician take preventive measure to stop blood clotting.
- Symptoms of Blood Clots are redness, swelling, pain, loss of sensation, paralysis, pale color may be seen in the arms and legs.
- If the above-mentioned symptoms or any of the symptoms are seen, medication will help to dissolve the clot as prescribed by the physician or doctor.
- Stricture: When opening to or from the stomach is blocked preventing the food to enter into intestines, it is called stricture and may be serious as it may weaken our body.
- Wound Site Infection: It is the infection which occurred at or under the area of the incision. It can occur after any surgery. Obesity makes it more serious after the surgery. Infections are required to treat with the help of antibiotics immediately as it may lead to tissue death, widespread infection, death.
Long-term Complications:- These complications can occur anytime after the surgery and is not life-threatening & pleasant.
- Nutritional Deficiencies:- This is less common as compared to Gastric Bypass. As per the research, almost 12% patients experience the nutritional deficiencies. It can be treated with the help of supplements, diet, and regular blood work.
- Gallstones: It is common after Sleeve Gastrectomy surgery
- GERD (heartburn): GastroEsophageal Reflux Disease (heartburn) is common after any weight loss surgery. it can be treated with the medication - proton pump inhibitors. If GERD persists for a long time, surgery may be required.