What is Anal Fissure?
An anal fissure is a small or thin cut in the lining of the anal opening. It may cause bleeding, pain and discomfort while straining or bowel moment.
Symptoms of Anal Fissure:-
The small or thin cut will always lead to pain while making any bowel movement. The common symptoms are:-
- Sharp stinging Pain while passing stools
- Bright Red blood in the Toilet
- Itching or irritation around anus
- Small lump and tag around Anus
Causes of Anal Fissure:-
An anal fissure may be fresh and chronic. Fresh anal fissure is easy to cure within a week whereas Chronic fissure is frequent and may take off time to heal. Chronic fissure is associated with the external lump which is called skin tag or sentinel pile. The causes of Anal Fissure are given as under:-
- Passage of hard & Dry Stools (Bowel Movements)
- Chronic Diarrhea
- Excessive Straining
- Child Birth
- Foreign Body insertions
- Anal Intercourse
Diagnosis of Anal Fissure:-
Anal Fissure can be analyzed through anal examination. Apart from this, Two diagnosis methods can be adopted:-
- Digital Rectum Examination
- Proctoscopy or Anoscopy
Treatments Of Anal Fissure:-
An anal fissure can be treated at home or at a clinic as well.
- Home Remedies:- It's better to prevent or cure the Anal Fissure with the home-based techniques or changing lifestyle techniques which include:-
- Diet- Intaking rich fiber food
- Drinking plenty of water and non-alcoholic liquids
- Abstain from restraining
- Not sitting in the toilets for long hours
- Regular exercising and physical activities
- Topical application of Nitroglycerin (to increase the blood flow to the fissure & promote healing)
- Ayurvedic Medicines
Surgical Treatments or New Modalities:- If Home based remedies are not successful, clinical treatments are requisite which are as mentioned:-
- Laser Surgery:- Laser ablation of Fissure is the new methods to treat the anal effectively with:-
- Fast Recovery
- Quick & Painless Treatments
- Resume normal Activity with 24 hours
- No diet restrictions
- No repeated Doctor visits
Can be done in all age groups
- Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS):- In this process, Anal Sphincter muscle is divided to let the fissure heal and reduce pain. If sentinel pile is present, it is removed to heal the anal fissure.
Dr. Vaibhav is an expert in treating the Anal Fissure in an effective way. Home remedies are always preferable, but for chronic Anal Fissure, clinical treatments are recommended.